What happened to Friesland?

Yes @deandddd , also my new take on the Mercator map itself is that it's an authentic , accurate depiction of the North Polar region - except that it's an inside out view . I mean it actually depicts the continents and rivers on the Hollow Earth side of the North Polar opening !

Regards

This Oxon 1680 map appears to have Friesland:

Blowup from the Wikipedia map:
wikipedia

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/b0/A_Map_of_the_North_Pole_and_the_Parts_Adioining%2C_Oxon%2C_1680.jpg

From a higher contrast map:
highercontrast

l_167267-11418

And it's here on one of his other maps:
friesland

I have attempted (very poorly) to list some of the apparent names of features presented on or associated with Friesland.

I would very much appreciate the help of someone who is more adept at reading older English / Latin / Script / Print to make proper sense of these.

From Mercator, listed from approximate columnar observation of left to right - this is just a start. At some point I will have to translate these to the maps so as to see them better, especially after getting some collaborative assistance in getting the right names / letters (I feel I'm doing a disservice to this concept at this point... but I hated to not put forth the idea of doing this!):

• C. Spagia
  • C. Buft / Bust
  • Golfo norda
  • Flofo / Sloso / Floso
  • Sudero golfo / golso
  • Ledeue / Leduc
  • Aqua
  • Cabaru
  • Bondendea portus
  • Banar
  • C. Deria
  • Venai
  • Ande. fort
  • Campa
  • Frislant
  • Godmer / Godmec
  • Sanestol
  • Ocibar
  • Aneses / Anefes
  • Monaco / Mo. naco
  • Duilo
  • Rarue / Raru / Rare
  • Sorand
  • Ibini / Ihini / Ibiiii
  • Rouea
  • Doffais / Sossais
  • Streme
  • Spirige

1380 Niccolò Zeno’s Map:

• Ilofe Iedeuo / Dlofe Iedeuo / ?
  • Spagia
  • Cabaria
  • C=bouet / bouel
  • Colfo / Colso / Golfo Nordero
  • Sudero colfo
  • C. Vidil
  • Bondendea
  • Porti
  • Banan Cideria
  • Vena
  • Aqua
  • U Andeford
  • Ocibar
  • Aneses
  • Porlanda
  • Monaco
  • DVilo
  • Dolfor
  • Forali
  • Alaneo
  • Sorand.
  • Logostilos
  • Vadin
  • Rane
  • Campa
  • Godinec
  • Cibini
  • PIgiu
  • rifu / risu / Tifu
  • Rouea
  • Frislad
  • Doffais / Dossois / Doffois
  • Streine / Streme
  • Godeinec
  • Spirige
  • Neome
  • Poi...

Oxon map:

• C. Bovet...
  • L...
  • Cal...
  • B...
  • Aqua
  • S...
  • FRIESLAND
  • C. Spagia
  • R... / K...
  • E... / F...
  • G.... / C...

Wow folks, I was quite impressed by the 1971 map from Marie Tharp:

I really don't know if there's anything to this, but I found the rendering from Tharp of Greenland and the islands and shapes to be fascinating in relation to Iceland and Greenland and some similar shaped areas:

If things were wrongly rotated or explorers were confused with their locations and so forth, could they perhaps have gotten confused and charted Friesland as an island on the inner bay of Greenland when there was no ice there? Or perhaps the bay's inlet / mouth? Or something else here?

Take a look:
2022-05-02_032234

Could Hayes Peninsula have been conflated with the area to the west of Greenland?

If the bay existed in Greenland then it would be somewhat easy to consider that the northwestern portion of Greenland could have gotten confused for Greenland and the south or southeastern portion and/or islands could have been something else. The maps and their uncertainty as one can see from the early posts in this thread make it clear that there could be some misunderstandings - especially if the ice(bergs) were not formed at that time.

There are various permutations on this that we could think about and discuss. What do you think?

1 Like