Purpley Sky

• List Members,

Olaf Jansen made the following comments about seeing purple skies. As the inner sun was climbing higher, we can assume that he and his father were rather far into the funnel-like opening.

"Clouds and mists would at times almost, but never entirely, hide its location. Gradually, it seemed to climb higher in the horizon of the uncertain purpley sky as we advanced."

Get it - a purpley sky. The sky at high altitudes is purple because the light hasn't passed through enough atmosphere to arrive at the blue part of the spectrum yet. It is still violet.

Mr. Cater writes that the opening is huge and that the middle part is filled with space. This is because the atmosphere only extends up to 45 miles above the surface at most. So if there are a few hundred miles of opening across the neck, then the atmosphere won't stretch across. But right at the neck I wouldn't be surprised if the atmosphere were thin. In fact, if the atmosphere gets sucked in and blown out, then I would expect it to get thin at times, such that the light only descends to the purple or violet band.

This description by Olaf- at that point of his journey, the neck area of the opening - lends creedence to the whole tale. How would he have known to make a point like that about the light band way back at the turn of the centruy 100 years ago?

• Dean

Peopple,

What is the purple sky due to?

Well, if the distance near the neck of the hour glass opening, from side to side were around, let's say, 90 miles (150 km), then there would be some area open space with no atmosphere. I say 90 miles because there might be more than that because nobody truly knows how wide it is at the neck of the hour glass opening. But right at the neck of the hour glass opening, and below it on the inner side of the planet's crust, the particles must come together because the distance and space between the sides is not so great anymore, then the particles must scrunch up together. And then, and only then, incoming particles must impact atmosphere and begin to experience friction with the atmosphere and create light. At first, it is violet because that is the first frequency of light just below ultra violet.

This is my deduction.

Cheers!

A very astute observation , @deandddd !

Regards

Sidhartha,

Thank you!