Crypts, Tunnel Discovered Beneath Knights Templar Chapel in Poland - Holy Grail found ?

List members , it often happens that reputation once tarnished , is not restored during the person's entire lifetime - sometimes that NEVER happens at all...in the case of the Templar Knights though , that might still change and they may finally get justice , more than 700 years after they were slain - history may yet judge them kindly :-

Crypts, Tunnel Discovered Beneath Knights Templar Chapel in Poland

Last fall, an archaeological investigation revealed tantalizing structures hidden below the 13th-century building

The Knights Templar constructed the Saint Stanislaus chapel in the Polish village of Chwarszczany during the 13th century. (Public domain via Wikimedia Commons)

By Nora McGreevy

smithsonianmag.com
September 17, 2020 12:00PM

Around 1119, in the midst of Christian Crusades to wrest the Holy Land from Muslim control, a French knight named Hugues de Payens formed a small military order dedicated to defending pilgrims as they traveled from West to East.

Known today as the Knights Templar, the group (and various legends surrounding its history) has captured public imagination for centuries. As Patrick Masters, a film studies scholar at the University of Portsmouth, wrote for the Conversation in 2019, 13th-century epics and Dan Brown’s The Da Vinci Code alike link the order to the mythical Holy Grail—albeit with little supporting evidence.

Over the years, physical traces of the organization’s existence have yielded insights on its actual role in medieval society. In villages across the West Pomeranian region of Poland, for instance, 13th-century Gothic buildings created by the knights upon their return from the Holy Land testify to the order’s lasting influence.

Now, reports Małgosia Krakowska for CNN, an ongoing archaeological dig at a Knights Templar chapel in a remote Polish village of about 100 residents is offering up an array of exciting new discoveries.

Last fall, a research team using ground-penetrating radar (GPR) uncovered a number of crypts, as well as the possible remains of an underground passageway or tunnel, while conducting excavations at the chapel of Saint Stanislaus in Chwarszczany.

“According to legends and medieval documents, there was a well in the vicinity of the chapel,” Przemysław Kołosowski, the lead archaeologist working on the site, tells CNN. “Rumor has it that the well served as an entrance to a secret tunnel. This still requires an exhaustive archeological investigation.”

Interior of the chapel of St. Stanislaus (Grzegorz Gołębiowski via Wikimedia Commons under CC BY-SA 4.0)

As Jakub Pikulik reported for Polish newspaper Gazeta Lubuska last year, renovations and archaeological work at the site have been ongoing since 2004. Kołosowski’s team commenced work in July 2019, scanning the chapel and surrounding fields with the help of a hundred or so volunteers.

An excavation expected to unearth a medieval fortress yielded no substantial finds from the period. But archaeologists did discover centuries-old cobblestones, the walls of an 18th-century distillery, Bronze Age pottery and iron nails, and a 1757 coin likely left behind by Russian troops stationed nearby during the Seven Years’ War.

Inside the chapel, archaeologists investigating a small depression beneath the stone floors found seven vaulted crypts. Per a statement from OKM, the German manufacturer of the GPR technology used by the researchers, these underground crypts “cannot be dated back to Templar times.” Instead, Gazeta Lubuska notes, the crypts were likely constructed later, only to be emptied during renovations in the second half of the 19th century.

Built on the site of an older Romanesque temple in the second half of the 13th century, the red-brick Chwarszczany chapel was “both a place of worship and a defensive fortification,” according to Sarah Cascone of artnet News .

At the time, the Knights Templar wielded significant power in western Poland, local historian Marek Karolczak tells CNN.

“Back in those days, the appearance of Knights Templar on this soil was a popular trend,” Karolczak explains. “This is the time of Crusades. Local rulers wanted to strengthen their power by inviting military orders to settle on their land and build commanderies.”

Because the Knights Templar were protected by the pope, they “enjoy[ed] papal privileges, tax breaks and lavish donations while also accruing legendary status,” reports CNN. But the group’s luck changed in the early 14th century, when Philip IV of France ordered members’ arrest, perhaps out of a desire to seize their vast wealth or assert his political dominance over the papacy, writes Mark Cartwright for Ancient History Encyclopedia.

Those arrested were tortured into giving false confessions of homosexuality and sacrilege, and in 1312, Pope Clement V officially disbanded the religious order.

On the trail of the Knights Templar and Holy Grail in western Poland

(CNN) — They were known as the keepers of the Holy Grail, a sometimes mysterious band of religious warriors whose exploits across Europe and the Middle East have inspired modern-day conspiracy theories and movie plots.

But, like all great travelers, the Knights Templar of medieval times eventually needed somewhere to lay down some roots, wash their socks, polish their armor and maybe build a few castles or cathedrals.

Famous examples of these 13th-century Gothic and Romanesque structures can be found all over the UK, France, Italy, Portugal and Spain.

Lesser known are the spectacular chapels and fortifications they constructed in western Poland, where the Knights Templar and other crusaders colonized land and set about weaving their own mythology into the idyllic rural landscape.

A trip into the West Pomeranian region and the villages of Chwarszczany, Myślibórz and Rurka — close to the border with Germany — is an adventure into an overlooked destination where historical secrets are still being uncovered.

And, according to at least one local legend, it’s here that the Holy Grail, the cup that Jesus Christ drank from at the Last Supper and that later held his blood, could still be hidden.

The road to Chwarszczany, a village lost among fields and forests, is little used by anyone but those who live there. The village itself is a collection of faded houses with fewer than 100 residents who keep chickens and grow tomatoes in the summer.

Farms are laid out in a ruled grid, the houses built in a traditional German style, testament to the geopolitical upheavals that have affected the region over the centuries.

Time-proof chapels

templar-chapel

Archaeologists think there’s a secret tunnel entrance beneath the chapel in Chwarszczany.

Courtesy Małgosia Krakowska

It’s here that the Templars established a place of worship.

Constructed of red bricks on a base of granite, the chapel of Saint Stanislaus was built in 1232 on a secluded spot.

The chapel is laid out according to the Rule of the Templars, an intricate codex that the knights obeyed under fear of banishment from the brotherhood. The building’s appearance is defensive, its tall walls built to withstand attack, as well as the ravages of time.

It’s still in use as a place of worship, although Sunday mornings in Chwarszczany are quiet affairs, typically seeing about 30 parishioners gather inside the chapel in private prayer and Roman Catholic services. On the walls are two restored frescoes.

Discoveries are still being made here that shed new light on the lives and deaths of the knights and their acolytes. Among the finds beneath the chapel’s sanctuary are the bodies of some of the knights themselves and a possible clandestine passageway.

Przemysław Kołosowski, an archeologist working to preserve Chwarszczany’s medieval heritage, says that during excavations in 2019, researchers discovered more fortifications and a graveyard using ground penetrating radar.

“Our GPR has detected gothic crypts with the remnants of Templar knights beneath the chapel,” Kołosowski tells CNN Travel. “According to legends and medieval documents, there was a well in the vicinity of the chapel. Rumor has it that the well served as an entrance to a secret tunnel. This still requires an exhaustive archeological investigation”.

Indiana Jones inspiration

The "Holy Grail" chalice used as a prop in the movie "Indian Jones and the Last Crusade."

The “Holy Grail” chalice used as a prop in the movie “Indian Jones and the Last Crusade.”

JUSTIN TALLIS/AFP via Getty Images

The Knights Templar have long fascinated historians and archeologists, partly because of the shadowy aspects of some of their practices.

Founded in Jerusalem in the 12th century to protect Holy Land pilgrims, the order became a powerful force across Europe, enjoying papal privileges, tax breaks and lavish donations while also accruing legendary status.

They’re said to have become the protectors of the Holy Grail and the Ark of the Covenant, a chest said to contain remnants of the 10 Commandments — stories that have inspired plots in the Indiana Jones movies and Dan Brown’s “The Da Vinci Code.”

“The Knights Templars are always involved,” wrote Italian author Umberto Eco, in his book “Foucault’s Pendulum.”

That certainly seems to be the case in the 12th and 13th centuries in Europe. In western Poland, landowners decided to preempt that involvement by inviting the knights to settle in what was then known as the Pojezierze Myśliborskie region.

When travel is possible, the few visitors who make it to this bewitching corner of northern Europe have a couple of accommodation options, thanks to local taverns Oberża Templum and Komandoria Chwarszczany, which are now trying to attract history aficionados and medievalists, particularly from neighboring Germany. ( Oberża Templum Chwarszczany 3 B; +48 792 241 731. Komandoria Chwarszczany Pokoje Gościnne, Chwarszczany 3B. )

Political power struggles

knights templar poland 7-2

One of the restored frescos in the Chwarszczany Chapel.

Małgosia Krakowska

About 40 kilometers (25 miles) north of Chwarszczany, another Romanesque-style building owes its existence to the medieval order.

The Chapel of the Knights Templar in Rurka is a rough stone building that dates from about 1250, built in the architectural style of the German Saxony region.

Sitting in a secluded woodland spot, the Rurka chapel was sold into private hands in 1999 and is closed for renovation.

Heading further northeast, after 25 minutes of driving, travelers will reach Myślibórz, a tight community of narrow streets and surrounded by woods and four lakes.

It’s an idyllic spot, but the scene here is stolen by the town’s remarkably preserved fortifications, which look today pretty much as they probably did during the Crusades.

The Knights Templars arrived in the town of Mysliborz in the 13th century.

The Knights Templars arrived in the town of Mysliborz in the 13th century.

Shutterstock

Myślibórz’s defensive architecture provides a glimpse into what life was like during the times of the Templars, when communities lived under fear of warfare and political power struggles.

Historical documents place the Templars in Myślibórz from about 1238, when the land around the town was granted to them by local aristocrat, Duke Władysław Odonic.

“Back in those days, the appearance of Knights Templar on this soil was a popular trend,” Marek Karolczak, a local historian, tells CNN Travel. “This is the time of Crusades. Local rulers wanted to strengthen their power by inviting military orders to settle on their land and build commanderies.”

In medieval Europe, commanderies were the smallest administrative units of land and property governed by a military order.

“The research shows that there were three commanderies on this territory: in Myślibórz, in Chwarszczany and in Rurka. The distance between them was approximately four hours by horse,” says Karolczak.

Swamp secrets

knights templar poland 7-1

Nowogrodzka Gate in Mysliborz. One of the main entrances to the city.

Małgosia Krakowska

The fortifications around Myślibórz were built in the 13th and 14th centuries. The town has maintained its medieval urban planning, with a square in the middle. Around this marketplace there’s an 18th century Rathaus, or town hall, and housing.

Even today, the main entrances to the town are via two medieval portals, the Pyrzycka Gate and the NowogrĂłdzka Gate, were built at the turn of the 13th and 14th centuries. Modern roads allow cars to enter the town through the gates.

Within the fortifications stands a stone brick cylindrical tower topped by crenelated battlements.

Visitors should ask about a secret underground tunnel that runs beneath the town from the large church located in the market square to the Dominican monastery which, according to Karolczak, was initially the location of the Templar Knights castle.

After the Templar Knights were expelled from Myślibórz at the end of 13th century, their legendary treasure disappeared.

Karolczak says that according to local lore, the treasure was sunk by Templars themselves in a nearby lake.

“The legend says that Templars, under cover of darkness, sunk a wooden box with golden coins and the Holy Grail,” he says.

“The lake, which used to be located near the village of Świątki — also owned by the Knights Templars — has dried out and the treasure has either been stolen or lost forever in the swamp.”

Regards

1 Like

@sidharthabahadur, another fascinating post, I will look at more closely. HIGHLY relevant to my path and what Alan Green (www.ToBeOrNotToBe.org), Nassim Haramein and Robert Grant, along with Jamie who all met the Dali Lama and are doing profound work related to Egypt at his bequest. It appears this forum has an EUT bent, and I support that whole-heartedly as a level of truth in science, superior to quackademia version of quantum quackery. I am not up to speed with Haramien relative to EU theory for the same cause, but as a necessary phase of truth unfolding. I am more of a noetic archeologist in the spirit of Alan Green's epistemology and ontology, as he has decoded Shakespeare's gravestone in profound measure. I am hoping to add GREAT depth to what he has to date. He speaks to the Templar relative to the Enochian tables of the Eseene Gnostics, of which Jesus Christ is said to be influenced, which in my cosmology is hidden all over the world in the Tav (X), as a nexus with my life path in particular at the cemetery in Havana Cuba named Colon, after Christopher Columbus. The Templar cross at Colon cemetery with a symbolic Skull & Bones in the center is a key: https://youtu.be/mXPedW7NBtk?t=10947 . He has a weekly faceplant presentation; https://www.facebook.com/bardcode/events . Brace yourself for some brilliance and insight into the coded matrix light illusion. I can share much more on this if there is interest.

Thanks @cosmicsojourner , or should I say Lord Darth Vader - it takes one to know one :)) Just kidding - actually I've always been a HUGE fan of Star Wars and back in the days when I was in school , I had noticed that the pronounciation of my name Si(dharth) Bahadur , rhymes with Darth Vader !

On a more serious note though , the incredibly wise Jedi Knights of Star Wars and their "mysterious old ways" , their enigmatic rituals , were modelled after the Templar Knights . Even their Jedi temple (analogous to the 3,000 year old Temple built by Solomon) , in which Anakin Skywalker , himself a Jedi Knight (but who had moved to the "dark side") treacherously massacred 26 Jedi Knights , is an echo of the Templar Knights who were burnt at the stake , after their names had been besmirched .

**One amongst the many sordid chapters of history , that definitely needs to be rewritten - is the one about the Templar Knights .

Regards

This is not really about the cruel destiny that tragically befell the ill-fated Templar Knights , but the knowledge that got erased from the public domain , after the Templars were so ruthlessly wiped out .

A vital trace of ancient wisdom , going back all the way to the ancient Magi was wiped out in one fell stroke , leaving the present day civilisation poorer in terms of arcane knowledge .

Regards

haha @sidharthabahadur :crown:

Was it truly wiped out though? Or was it held, perhaps incomplete, within the occult of secrets in societies, and used to enslave the pinecone long before in Babylon and confounded tongues and Plimpton 322 ?

History goes to the victors of war, in my book and nothing is as it meets the eYe, as everything we beLIEve is 180 degrees from the truth (Pi) in the mirror of illusions as we live-evil back words and evolve-ve-love back words as the devil-lived back words in prime time.

Is Babylon far enough back for these secrets?

Yes , of course @cosmicsojourner , some traces of that tradition (though not in it's entirety) have been kept alive by certain secret societies (am sure you know which) , some of whom themselves have now been "infiltrated" and corrupted .

I have seemingly accepted a lifelong challenge :)) to get recognition for "unsung heroes" , wherever or whenever they may have lived , whichever faith or creed they may have followed . Such "lost causes" have always appealed to me - I just can't figure out why ??

**I bet everyone of us , in their own circles , personal or professional , would be aware that many a times , the person celebrated as THE hero (or heroine) of a situation , is not actually THE one , but someone to the left or right of THE one who TRULY deserved those accolades - but did not get those , because they were not "in favour" of those in positions of authority . This is not to say that the one actually awarded did nothing or was undeserving of the acclaim , just that they were not THE one MOST deserving of it .

It is very important for society to celebrate heroes , because ultimately heroism stems from ALTRUISM , one of the finest qualities in humans - also proven biologically , to be the reason why mankind became the most successful and dominant species on Earth .

https://www.palig.com/blog/dr-palig/2019/11/altruism-or-the-story-of-the-everyday-hero

***You may find this hard to believe , there are even some characters in mythology who seem to have not got their due . From the Hindu epic of Mahabharat , for example , there is the story of Bhishma , a character of superhuman virtue & sacrifices , but not eulogised the way some other less deserving characters from that epic are...

Why do I believe it is important for society to set right those wrongs , those injustices to the "unsung heroes" ? Because that will be a collective act of gratitude , a collective repentence for the grave sin of denying what was due , to those whom we unknowingly owe a LOT more , than we can imagine .

Regards

Yes, I can relate to this personally @sidharthabahadur and collectively through my muse Nikola Tesla. Perhaps you have read that when asked what it is like to be the smartest man in the world, Albert Einstein responded, I don't know, you will need to ask Nikola Tesla. I hold in contempt not just Einstein, but MANY celebrated scientist, notably Thomas Edison, Sigmund Freud, Charles Darwin, and Albert Einstein...

that is not to judge the individual as much as the system within they are manipulated by the overarching hidden hand behind the two-way mirror. Fortunately that is all ending as we transition to the Magi phase of the grand cycle back toward source (Sirius) which is why the state of the world is such as it is.

In correspondence, perhaps a cymatic event in my cosmology, when the sands of the prime time pendulum shifts to a new octave on the back swing, and a new age where truth reins supreme... but as with ALL of creation, there are no switches of side the polarity of duality in the choice, it is a process and we have not achieved that threshold frequency until more choose, or the choice is made for them.

What we chose to think of, and more importantly what we choose to DO about what we choose to think about is ALL we will ever control. And any choice made is fundamentally based first in fear (survival program) and love second (reproductive drive program). The beast ~ spirit being in an endless tug-of-war between unconditional love and desire, intermediated by the antithetical force.

I am in gratitude for the exchange and the intellectual courage you share on a sojourn of parallel paths toward the event horizon. Thank you!

@cosmicsojourner , your comments about Tesla are spot on !

Had the establishment "mainstreamed" Tesla's work , instead of suppressing it , by now we would have had a limitless supply of "Free Energy" , a Theory of Everything (T.O.E.) , regular interplanetary travel , less pollution , more equitable development in society etc.

Few scientists have faced what Tesla was made to undergo , but that never crushed his spirit , right till the very end . He left this world with his head held high .

**On a different note , have you read some of Newton's texts on Alchemy , such as "Sal Nitrum" ?

Regards

Thank you @sidharthabahadur, it is so refreshing to have a fellow sojourner intersect my orbit, particularly now as I am at a new low with my family as I have 2 young children my wife (now separated) is dragging into the "negative" side of bifurcation, following dear leader toward the cliff and I am an outcast, even with my own children after losing all friends and family to the matrix of lies. EVERYTHING I have done post 911 was to learn the truth to share with them, and more importantly not to perpetuate the lies my parents and many generations before have handed down in obedience to authority, a construct in a program of control.

What Nikola Tesla did that upset most you have referred to in scalare anergy weapons. He ENDED any potential of war. Free energy is one thing, but no suffering through the brutality os war could not be tolerated, and if you know of the nature of central banking and the reason for war in metaphysical terms, and unless the light can stop it, coming soon in physical actuality terms, you understand why.

No, I am not familiar with Newton on alchemy, thank you for the seed.

@cosmicsojourner , you really understand Tesla's thought process better than most folks , even those who have studied his work .

As for challenges in personal life , which more and more people are experiencing , I guess it's a sign of these times , so each one has to carry on doing their best and leave the rest to God :))

Regards

Wise words dear @sidharthabahadur and I will persevere for the sake of children alone.

My epistemology does not include reading of others' perspectives in details however, as much as surfing precepts in search of the unknown unknown, to transmute them to known unknown upon reflection. Then to imagine the connections to other known unknowns to refine the resolution of the puzzle, only knowing I will never truly know as I recreate my perspective to increase my flicker fusion frequency.

Truth is ephemeral and subjective to the individual, objective in the collective to the whole, but the absolute truth is reserved for the most high, where parallel lines meet in perspective on the event horizon of infinity, round the black whole of the sun, that we are programed to never look at without protection and consider it is not a ball and we are its children through our Mother Gaia Sophia.

I think you will in-joy this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xC6J4T_hUKg&list=WL&index=225

"but the absolute truth is reserved for the most high" @cosmicsojourner - what a unique perspective and one that I completely endorse :))
Also , the video on light sabers is fantastic !

**There is far TOO much of "relativity" (pun intended - I can't resist taking a dig at Einstein worshippers) when it comes to our society's attitude towards truth - one of the reasons why our civilisation is sinking .

You don't accept the truth when it's convenient and make it "relative" to the individual when it's inconvenient , but AHA - that's exactly what is happening in this era of fake news .

If you find the time , please do read up the story of Bhishma from the epic Mahabharat - his life epitomised adherence to the absolute truth of the terrible vows he had taken , early on in his life.

You will not come across any other character , whose adherence to truth was so unflinching , regardless of the impact it had on his own self .

Regards

1 Like

Thank you @sidharthabahadur you are too kind with praise. I am just asquirl looking for an agg-corn and a pine nut and my pine cone stolen by the Pope.

I totally agree re Aether-less Aeinstein and will endeavor to learn more of Bhishma from the epic Mahabharat, as I can relate to the impact part, in the age of information ignorance is a choice, but knowing takes great sacrifice, and sharing your individual knowing is a risk of the "whack a mole" syndrom and the theif other-wise.