Changeling Legends - D. L. Ashliman

People,

I think that we have brought up these pages before, but there never was much jawbone about the specific subject matter.

I feel that folklore is a good source of information.

https://sites.pitt.edu/~dash/scanchange.html

The Sweedish legend begins thusly: "Every intelligent grandmother knows that the fire must not be allowed to go out in a room where there is a child not yet christened; that the water in which the newborn child is washed should not be thrown out; also, that a needle, or some other article of steel must be attached to its bandages [diapers]. If attention is not paid to these precautions it may happen that the child will be exchanged by the trolls, as once occurred in Bettna many years ago."

I have heard quite a bit about steel and iron being a repellent of underwold creatures, and what if our "vibrations" or something like that is captured by water; perhaps to be found in sweat or body oils. Hydrogen atoms are a safe haven for electrons, and attractive to electrons, too. Who knows? Perhaps changelings can be produced with molecular information taken from bath water.

We should not automaticallyreject folklore just because it sounds too outlandish.

Cheers!

2 Likes

D.L. Ashliman was a professor at the University of Pittsburgh. He retired in 2001. He still engages in research on folklore.

I have looked at his material before with the purpose of finding some underground connection relating to creatures such as trolls, goblins, elves or leprechauns.

I had looked at his writings before online, but I finally broke down and bought his two books on Amazon: Fairy Lore, A Handbook, and Folk and Fairy Tales, a Handbook. They are not expensive at all.

And I have found some fairy tales that show that people in centuries past were familiar with the idea of underground worlds, but nothing special such as a location.

Here is one example from Fairy Lore: A Handbook, Page 70.

Angels Cast from Heaven (A tale from Bohemia)

When God cast out the arrogant angels from Heaven, they became the evil spirits that plague mankind, tormenting us and inflicting us with harm. The ones who fell into caves and abysses became devils and death-maidens. However, the ones that fell onto the Earth became Kobolds, imps, dwarves, thumblings, alps, noon-and-evening ghosts and will-o-the-wisps. Those who fell into the forests became the wood-spirits who live there: the hey-men, the wild-men, the forest men, the wild women and the forest women. Finally, those who fell into the water became water spirits: water men, mermaids and merwomen.

End of book quote

People, back then the underground origins and existence of devils and death women were known by people. The story speaks of the underground creatures as if their existence were common knowledge.

Cheers!

People,

Here is another folkloric tale which demonstrates that underground worlds were something commonly understood. From Page 87 of Faity Lore, by D.L. Ashliman:

"THe Troll Turned Cat", A tale from Denmark"

"Pedersborg lies a quarter of a mile from Soro, and a little farther on is a town named Syng. Between these two towns is a hill called Brondoj, said to be inhabited by the troll people. One of these was a jealous ald troll, whom they called Knurremurre (Rumble-grumble), because he often caused so much turmoil within the hill. One Knureeemurre came to suspect a friendship between his young wife and a young troll, and he became so angry that he threatened to kill the younger one. The latter, accordingly, thought it would be best to leave the hill. Turning himself into a ruddy tomcat, he went to the town of Lyng, where he established himself in the house of a porr man named Plat."

Here he lived for a long time. Everyday he got milk and porridge, always lying about in an easy chair beside the stove. One evening Plat came home, and as he entered the room the cat was sitting in his usual place, licking porridge out of a pot. 'Mother', said the man, 'let me tell you what happened to me on the road. Just as I was passing Brondoj, a troll came out andsaid to me, 'Listen, tell your cat Knurremurre is dead.'"

"The moment the cat heard these words he stood up on his hind legs and tipped the pot onto the floor. Then he rushed out the door saying, 'What? Is Knurremurre dead? Then I certainly must go home at once!'"

People, this story has quite a bit in it that is interesting. The troll is a shape-shifter, and another troll came out of a mountain where other trolls lived.

And the shapeshifter lived amognst humans in human society.

And we see that trolls argue with each other and they have societal institutions such as marriage.

Cheers!

1 Like

People,

Here is another short tale from Fairy Lore, A Handbook, by D.L. Ashliman, Page 88.

"Raginal" (From Denmark)

"A farmer fell into poverty because he could not keep any cows in his stalls, the necks of all having been broken one after another. He therefore left the farm, which was sold to another. When the new proprietor came into the cowshed one evening and saw that everything was in a dubious state, he exclaimed 'good evening, Raginal!'."

Whereupon a voice answered, 'What? Do you know me?'.

'Yes, I have known you for many a year!'.

'If', said the troll, who dwelled beneath, 'you will move your cowshed to some other place, you shall become a wealthy man. I have my habitation under the cows, and their filth falls down on my table everyday, such that I have been obliged to break their necks.'.

"The man moved the cowshedand thrived from that time onwards."

It seems that some of them live very close to the surface.

Cheers!

1 Like

The Dragon

“In ancient times a fiery dragon came to the came to the área above the village of Ebringen and disappeared into a cave on the southern slope of Schonberg Mountain. The heathen population revered the dragon as a god, to whom from time to time a human sacrifice had to be presented for its nourishment. Finally, the lot fell on the charming and yoouthful daughter of the Prince Who resided at Schneeburg Castle.

At the time there live at the foot of Schonberg Mountain a Young Knight who had secretly converted to Christianity. When He learned of the horrible fate awaiting the prince’s daughter He bravely resolved to kill the all-powerful dragon. Well armoured and with a mighty spear in his right hand, he mounted his valiant steed and, trusting in his God, He advanced towards the hellish beast.

Greedily awaiting the fearlessly advancing attacker, the monster lay before his cave, his jaws open and fuming with poison. The proud and foaming steed , reared up, but powerful arms swifly and surely held the reigns and aimed the spear. Hissing, the death-delivering projectile flew into the monster’s open throat.

The Prince and the people received the news of the young knight’s brave and liberating deed with jubilation. And with jubilation they praised the battle god who had granted such great Power to the warrior. To commememorate the deed, stone crosses were erected on the houses in Ebringen, above which the dragon had formerly flown. Some of these Stone crosses still exist on the gables in the village. The daring knight, whose name was George, was now revered as a saint, and thus the place where he lived was later called Saint George.

Until a short time ago, an annual festival was held there every April 23, the saint’s Day, and peasants from the region would ride their horses around the church three time, asking Saint George’s protection for their horses. “ Folk and Fairy Tales by D.L. Ashliman, Page 122.

People,

As always, a cave is mentioned for the reptile creature. Reptiles always live underground. This folktale is very revealing, it comfirms something that we already know about.

What should we think abou tour leaders Who have gone over to the other side and made contact with undergrounders.

Who is now runninng the show on the surface?

Cheers!

People,

The flying snakes and their cave dwellings.

This is all believable ...

http://www.holloworbs.com/Flying%20Snakes.htm

1 Like